A smart bed is a bed that uses sensors and other technology to collect data about how you sleep. It uses this information to self-adjust and improve your sleep.
Some smart beds also transmit information about your sleep to smartphone where it can report how well you sleep and offer tips on how to sleep better.
Other smart beds don’t necessarily focus on improving your sleep, but instead on creating a more enjoyable experience in bed. For example, it can be a smart bed with a built-in TV or an alarm clock. Another might offer smart sheets to adjust to temperature changes at night, or offer built-in network connection to merge with your devices home automation .
As promising as the smart bed sounds, the industry is still in its infancy, meaning there is no clear narrative about what a smart bed should or should not do. Whether or not a smart bed works for you is simply a matter of research to determine which smart bed, duvet cover, pillow, etc. is best for you.
Smart Bed technology
With a wide selection of beds being considered «smart», there is no complete list of smart bed features that cover every product on the market. However, below are some examples of features that can be included in a smart bed.
- Sleep tracking A: Motion tracking while you sleep is one of the most distinctive aspects of a smart bed mattress, unlike a conventional one. Using a single sheet of «smart fabric» or multiple sensors scattered throughout the bed, the smart mattress monitors various information such as breathing, heart rate, sleepiness and pressure to determine how to give you the most comfortable night’s sleep.
- Temperature control : Smart beds sometimes have a built-in thermostat that allows you (or the bed, if it can automatically) adjust the temperature of the mattress while you sleep.
- air chambers : The inflated air tubes inside the smart mattress are equipped with pressure sensors that allow it to adjust to your body position during sleep. These air tubes can also be controlled remotely through your own Appendix smart bed .
- Application integration . Some smart beds seamlessly connect to Internet of Things to control other smart home elements, including virtual assistants thermostats, intelligent light sources coffee makers and TVs, allowing you to control all these different devices without even getting out of bed.
- Position control : The Smart Bed with Mattress Position Control features two completely separate areas that can be adjusted independently. This means that one person can use the app or remote control to physically move the smart mattress, such as the head or leg area, while the other side can remain flat.
- DIY : Although the self-adjusting bed is not as common as other smart beds, it can arrange bedding automatically. At least one iteration of this technology makes it work by using metal rails connected to the sheets to stretch and align them with the mattress.
Popular smart beds to choose from
Here are some examples of smart beds:
- Sleep number 360° : This smart bed allows you to choose how firm each side of the bed should be and can preheat the bed before you sit down. As you sleep, it senses how you move and automatically adjusts to keep you comfortable. Your SleepIQ score is sent to your phone every morning so you can see how well you slept, and includes personalized recommendations for better sleep.
- ReST Smart Bed : Supports manual, targeted configuration for five areas of your body: head, shoulders, lower back, hips, and legs. The bed retains a memory of how you want to feel comfortable and will adjust as you sleep to ensure that your pre-selected comfort level is always achieved.
- Eight Smart Bed : This smart bed from Eight Sleep tracks over 15 factors related to your sleep and shows them on your phone. It also has separate temperature control and can wake you up when you are sleeping. If you have a smart home, this bed can even trigger other things that happen when you sleep or wake up, like turn off the lights or start coffee. The same company offers The Pod .
- HiCan : Unlike other smart beds, which are really just smart mattresses, HiCan’s offering redefines the entire bedroom environment with a fully functional sleeping bag. It includes projector 4K With ports HDMI dimmable reading lights, sound system, ambient lighting and blinds. It’s like walking into the future of urban homes.
- Ohea : a bed that makes itself? This is exactly what you get with the Ohea smart bed.