With new generations of iPads coming out, and people switching to the latest Android tablets every time a new one is released, piles of «old» tablets continue to show up on places like Ebay and Amazon at the lowest prices. Maybe you even have one or two kicks around a box somewhere in your house.
Create your own digital photo frame
You don’t need a lot of equipment to accomplish this feat, especially if you already have an old tablet and monitor that you can use. The real secret behind this setup is the application itself, which we’ll get to shortly.
What you will need:
- A tablet that you can dedicate to your digital photo frame. I am using a first generation Asus Transformer Prime. The only requirement is a micro-HDMI or mini-HDMI port (as shown in the picture below).
- old monitor old computer monitors old with HDMI input port.
- A micro-HDMI or mini-HDMI-to-HDMI converter cable, readily available through Amazon, usually for less than $10.
- A regular HDMI cable to connect your adapter to your monitor.
- An app for Android or iOS capable of playing photo slideshows. I chose Dayframe for Android because it connects to cloud services such as Dropbox or Google Drive, allowing for a remote control feature that I’ll cover later in this article.
Picking up the pieces
Once you have collected all the equipment and installed the Dayframe app on your mobile device, it’s time to assemble the equipment.
As you can see, I bought an adapter that allows me to connect to a mobile device with a micro or mini port.
The next step is to simply connect the HDMI cable to the HDMI connector on your entire adapter and the other end to your monitor.
Now that you have your display, it’s time to set up your slideshow software to display your favorite images.
You can skip the first step because further into the software you will have the option to add photos from any of these services and more.