Need a way to clean your laptop keyboard right now? Looking for something that will clear the ganks that build up on the devices you use regularly?
Clearing putty or slime is becoming an increasingly popular solution. But how can you make cleaning putty? How to remove it without becoming sticky? Here’s how to make your own DIY cleaning slime and then get to work.
Make your own cleansing slime
In order to immediately start cleaning your gadget from your gadgets, you will need to make a cleaning slime. Start by grabbing rubber gloves and measuring out the following ingredients:
- 1 ½ cups warm water
- ¼ cup borax (NOTE: There is a risk of burns as borax is caustic. Use rubber gloves when mixing.)
- 5 oz white PVA glue
To make your slime:
- Mix a cup of water with borax, stirring until completely dissolved.
- In a separate container, mix the remaining half glass of water with glue. (If you want colored slime, add a couple drops of food coloring at this point)
- Stir the borax liquid into the adhesive mixture, turning it from a sticky residue into a hard putty. (If it refuses to set, add more borax, a teaspoon at a time.)
- Once the mixture has set, place it in a large bowl or on a flat surface and knead like bread dough.
When pinched, the mucus should roll into a ball that looks a bit like sticky putty. If it doesn’t, keep mixing; don’t put it anywhere near your tech until it hardens.
This video demonstrates how to make slime with fewer ingredients: PVA glue, baking soda, and contact lens cleaner.
Don’t want to make cleaning slime? Buy it instead
Making slime can be difficult for you. After all, there is danger if you are wrong. Then there is the cleaning afterwards. So what’s the solution?
Luckily, several retailers stock slimes that can be used in a similar way. Visbella cleaning putty is one example that can pick up dust, dirt, crumbs, hair and other contaminants.
5 Ways to Clean with DIY Cleaning Putty
With the freshly prepared cleaning gel ready to use, you can put it to good use. A typical technical cleaning with putty includes:
- Keyboard cleaning (especially laptops)
- Get the gank out of the speaker jack or charging port on your phone
- Cleaning a computer mouse
- Clean the air vents on your car
- Picking up dust from standing equipment such as PCs and game consoles
Here’s a little more on how to clean with DIY cleaning putty.
1. Clean your keyboard with a cleaning gel
The number one reason to use a cleaning gel is to remove crumbs and dirt from your keyboard.