There are several reasons to jailbreak old model Apple TV to not only get more out of it, but also:
- Access to apps and features not supported by Apple
- Play media in formats not supported by Apple TV
- Use it as a media center or to install a web browser
- Customize the user interface
However, if you don’t have a huge media collection on your personal media server, you may not need a jailbreak at all.
What is jailbreak?
Jailbreaking is the name when you install unofficial unsupported OS software on your device. After your Apple TV hacked, you will be able to install a number of commonly unsupported new applications, services and systems on your device.
Keep in mind that jailbreaking your device is against Apple’s terms of service and will void your warranty. Proceed at your own risk.
Which Apple TV models can be jailbroken?
The second generation Apple TV is the jailbreak of choice. Older models are hard to find, while fourth and third generation Apple TVs cannot be easily hacked. There are some online services that will promise to break these models for you in exchange for a fee, but they will take your money and fail to complete the task.
If you’re using a more recent Apple TV, you can use it with Plexconnect and Plex Media Server or FireFore InFuse. These solutions will at least allow you to access a wider range of media formats if used with a media server.
How to jailbreak Apple TV 2 with Firecore Seas0nPass
Firecore Seas0nPass provides an untethered jailbreak of the second generation Apple TV running iOS Firmware 5.3 (released June 19, 2013). This is one of the most reliable ways to jailbreak your Apple TV.
- Download the Firecore Seas0nPass software on your computer (Mac and Windows versions available), extract it and move it to Applications folder .
- Then connect your Mac/PC to Apple TV with a Micro USB cable.
- Now launch Seas0nPass and click » Create IPSW» you will be prompted to click the » Menu» and » Play/Pause» on the Apple TV remote.
- iTunes will launch on your PC/Mac and start restoring Apple TV, and it will find and open a number of files on your computer to enable this.
- When this operation is completed, click » Ready», and you will be able to disconnect the cable, connect Apple TV to the TV and turn it on.
- You should see the FireCore logo when the Apple TV boots up, you may also notice it when it temporarily appears to replace the settings icon on the Apple TV home screen.
You can also use Seas0nPass to install a tethered download. This is not as convenient as you will have to connect your Apple TV to your computer every time you want to start it. it the only way to install Seas0nPass on Apple TV With firmware iOS 6.2.1.
What can I do now?
Once you have jailbroken your device, the easiest way to start using it also comes from FireCore and is called aTV Flash . Macworld says aTV Flash «Turns Apple TV into a powerful media center for your living room.»
The software costs $29.00 and gives you just about everything you need to add many different features to a jailbroken Apple TV 1 or 2, including web browsing, support for multiple media formats (including AVI and more), and the ability to install such applications like XBMC.