Twitter is a booming network that never stops, which can be overwhelming. It’s hard to keep track of important topics. This is where lists can come in handy — they make organizing your feed easier.
Why You Should Use Twitter Lists
When Twitter was new, you could follow anyone you found interesting and read all of their tweets. It became untenable as Twitter grew and we were soon bypassed by a flood of messages that were easy to miss.
With Twitter lists, you can separate individual accounts from others and turn that thread into a small trickle centered around one topic. You can also easily add accounts to Twitter lists instead of following them. This means that tweets sent by accounts on this list only appear there, not in the main chart.
Possible uses for Twitter lists:
- Sport: Are you following a lot of football scores that are polluting your feed? Create a new Twitter list and add them to it. This way you will never miss the latest sports news, but it won’t crowd your feed.
- Developments: add everyone at the event to your Twitter list, keeping all their tweets in one place.
- Catalogs: add all your colleagues to a special Twitter list. If you make the list public, people can keep up to date with the latest happenings in your company.
- Competitors: Want to follow competitions without following them? There’s a Twitter list for that.
- Celebrities: There’s nothing wrong with keeping up with the latest celebrity gossip if that’s your guilty pleasure. And with Twitter lists, it shouldn’t get in the way of more important things.
Twitter allows you to create up to 1000 different lists, and each list can have up to 5000 accounts. Here’s how to ride.
How to Create a Twitter List
The process for creating new Twitter lists on the web and in the Twitter app is almost identical. We’ll outline any differences as we go.
Visit twitter.com and click on your profile picture in the top right corner of the page. Click «Lists» in the dropdown menu. If you’re on mobile, your profile icon is on the left, with the Lists button below it.
Click the «Create a new list» button on the right side of the page. On a mobile phone, the button is at the bottom of the screen.