Ton skills Alexa comes with your Echo devices; some of them are hilarious or silly, while others are amazingly useful. Here you will find more than 60 skills that can help you once you connect your Echo to Wi-Fi and the Internet.
What is Alexa and what can she do?
Alexa is Amazon’s proprietary speech-driven service similar to Alexa. Siri for iPhone . The commands for service are known as skills; These features allow you to control the playback of a specific song and raise the temperature on your thermostat.
The most popular Alexa-enabled device is Amazon Echo but the voice service is also available in echo auto Fire TV, and other select Amazon and third-party products such as the Aristotle Baby Monitor and LG Hub Robot.
While Alexa can use the thousands upon thousands of available skills, there are a few things to keep in mind.
- Not all of these skills were developed by Amazon. Developers have access to write and publish their own skills to Alexa, which are then made available to users like you.
- The average Echo/Alexa user can also develop their own skills using portal Alexa Blueprints .
- Some of these skills may not be worth your time, simply because they are not very useful or enjoyable.
- Some skills may require additional equipment (e.g. turning on lights with Alexa)
However, this should not scare you. Alexa-enabled devices are great to have in your home and, with a few tweaks, can be very good companions. I have selected some of the most useful and unique Alexa skills out of the thousands out there. Many of these skills will not be enabled by default. so you may need to complete the appropriate activation steps before using each one for the first time.
How to start using Alexa’s skills
For most, just saying Alexa, enable [skill name] will do its job. While some skills can be set up by following Alexa’s voice guidance, others must be activated via Appendix Alexa or on the Amazon website.
- To do this, first find the name of the skill and then click button » Turn on» .
- In the Alexa app, this is achieved by selecting the main menu button (located in the top left corner of the screen) and selecting the option » Skills» . From here, you can view Alexa skills by category or other criteria, such as most preferred due to a large user base. You can also search for skills by keyword or name through the same interface.
- If you’re using the Amazon website instead of the app, first make sure you’re signed in to the account associated with your Alexa-enabled device.
- Then click on the dropdown menu located next to the search bar at the top of the screen and select Alexa Skills . From here, you can search for skills by keyword or name. You will also be taken to the Alexa Skills section of the site after doing the initial search.
- Once you click the «Enable» button associated with a particular skill, it will be activated on all of your Alexa-enabled devices, as long as you’ve signed them up with the same Amazon account and are ready to use.
In the lists below, you will notice that many Alexa skills are triggered with trigger words such as open , start , play and ask . While some skills require the use of certain terms, others consider them interchangeable and will work with some or all of these phrases. Over time, you will start to trigger your favorite skills with the words you are most comfortable using. In the beginning, however, it can be fun to play with everyone.
We recommend reading how to make Alexa the center of your smart home, to learn more about how the service can be used across multiple devices.
The Best Fun and Skills Related to Humor
The following Alexa skills will keep you entertained for hours on end. Note that each command is clearly marked with an action, such as open or ask.
- Alexa, open the evening show : Missed Jimmy Fallon’s monologue last night? Want to know who the comedian’s future guests are? This skill has covered you.
- Alexa, play beer glasses : Maybe you should wait for another drink. This skill asks a series of questions and then determines if you’ve reached your limit or not based on the answers.
- Alexa, ask Westeros : Given the huge carnage in George R.R. It can be difficult for Martin to keep up with someone who is still alive. This skill allows you to find out if a particular character was dead or not. This is based on a book series that is not fully in sync with the HBO drama.
- Alexa, open Geek Humor : A skill sure to make your inner nerd laugh, Geek Humor tells jokes from a range of science and technology-related categories.
- Alexa, open the Radio Mystery Theater : Takes you back in time by playing old episodes of CBS Radio Mystery Theatre, a series that took the airwaves by storm in the 70s.
Useful news, traffic skills and weather
talking Alexa, what’s the weather like? will return the current conditions in your area, most of the news and weather information distributed by Alexa is done through Flash Briefings. This includes the latest headlines on dozens of broad topics from over 2,000 available sources.
Whenever you say Alexa, what’s my flash briefing? or Alexa, what’s in the news? Updates from each active Flash Briefing provider will be played. To go to the next source, just say Alexa, skip .
You can manage your Flash Briefing skills using the Alexa app by following these steps.
Click button settings represented by three horizontal lines and located in the upper left corner of the application’s main window.
When the drop-down menu appears, click Settings.
The Alexa settings interface should now be visible. In chapter » Accounts » select « Flash Briefing» .
You should now see a list of the Flash briefing skills associated with your account, each enabled or disabled. To activate or deactivate a news source, click on the corresponding button once.
To change the priority with which Alexa reads each source during a Flash briefing, first press button » Reorder» . Then select and drag each option until they appear in the desired order of preference. When finished, click the » Ready» to return to the previous screen.
To add additional skills/sources to your Flash briefing, click the button that says Get more Flash briefing content. A searchable and sortable list of available skills should now be specified. To add it to the list of information sources, select it from the list and click the «Enable» button.
Best Skills in Music, Books and Podcasts
Unsurprisingly, Alexa-enabled devices are also great tools for listening to your favorite songs and audiobooks . In addition to the features listed below, there are also dozens of podcasts available as Alexa Skills. To navigate through songs, books, and other audio, Alexa respects commands such as Alexa pause , Alexa resume and Alexa restart .
- Alexa play music [имя исполнителя] : Random songs will be played by the corresponding artist or group. The source of these songs depends on which services and/or digital resources you have associated with your account.
- Alexa play [название песни] : reproduces song of your choice, assuming it is available in your assets or active services (for example, Amazon Music )
- Alexa play [название альбома] album : Instructs Alexa to play the complete album from the beginning.
- Alexa, play [artist] on Pandora : Stream the radio station of your choice through an Alexa-enabled device. Please note that you first need to register your account Pandora through the Alexa app to make that skill available.
- Alexa play [радиостанция] on TuneIn : Attempts to play a specific radio station through the TuneIn broadcast service. If the station you are looking for cannot be found, Alexa will automatically find it on iHeartRadio .
- Alexa, play [радиостанция] on iHeartRadio : similar to the skill above, with the corresponding service search order.
- Alexa, play [название книги] on Audible : if you purchased the book through Audible this skill allows you to listen to it through an Alexa-enabled device.
Train yourself in educational and reference skills
This next group of Alex’s skills was created to pique your curiosity and keep your mind sharp.
- alexa, discover Save Water by Colgate . With this skill, Alexa starts a dialogue where users can get facts and tips on water conservation while brushing their teeth. To encourage listeners brushing their teeth to turn off the sink faucet while they brush their teeth, Alexa will even play the sound of running water to replace the sound of the actual water coming out of the faucet.
- Alexa launching This Day In History : Powered by The History Channel, this skill provides a summary of noteworthy events that happened on today’s date. You can also specify a different date by saying Alexa, ask this day in history what happened in [дата] .
- Alexa, open NASA Mars : Ask all questions about the Red Planet, including details about the latest update of the Curiosity rover.
- Alexa, ask Baseball Help : One of our favorites, this skill allows you to ask Alexa unlimited questions about historical baseball data, including statistics and past season winners.
- Alexa, open Best Recipes : Suggests recipes based on three ingredients you specify. It is required that you submit your email address to Hellmann for it to work properly.
- Alexa, ask Beer Snob : A hop-infused skill that provides detailed information about a set of beers, including where it’s brewed and what approval rating it’s recommended.
- Alexa, open Ingredient Sub : This skill comes in handy when you’re missing a certain ingredient, letting you know which options can be used as a substitute.
- Alexa, ask the Mixologist : Acts like a virtual bartender, telling you how to make the adult drink of your choice.
- Alexa, open Daily Buzzword : A great way to build up your vocabulary, this skill identifies a new word every day from the Merriam-Webster dictionary.
- Alexa, start Poker Pro : contains interactive tutorials where you are forced to make decisions in hypothetical cash games and tournament situations, after which Alexa explains why you made a right or wrong call. The details of this skill will definitely help improve your No Limit Hold’em skill.
- Alexa, open the Myth Buster : This skill tells various myths and then asks you to guess if they are true or false, creating an educational and enjoyable game.
- Alexa, ask Artsy : The Artsy skill offers comprehensive information about your favorite artists, as well as recommendations for art exhibitions in your area. You can also listen to the latest episode of the Artsy podcast.
- Alexa, what’s the score of the game [название команды]? : Gives you the current score for the current sports match or the final result of a completed competition.
- Alexa, ask Edmunds : Returns Edmunds profiles for most car models, including reviews and rental details in your area.
Her Funniest Gaming Skills
Although Alexa is controlled strictly by voice, there are some pretty interesting games out there, thanks in part to the ingenuity of the developer and the imagination of the player.
- Alexa, the game «Danger» : Alexa takes on the role of Alex Trebek, asking a new set of questions every weekday, couched in the language of a lengthy quiz show.
- Alexa, play RuneScape : former and current classical players MMORPG as well as fans of the turn-based adventure genre will enjoy this audio-based murder mystery. The game even saves your progress so you can pick up where you left off later.
- Alexa, play Twenty Questions : This skill helps set your brain cells on fire, pitting you against Alex in a classic guessing game.
- Alexa, open the Magic Door : Immerse yourself in a series of interactive events where the choices you make have their own unique consequences, reminiscent of the Choose Your Own Adventure books from decades past.
- Alexa, open The Wayne Investigation : Designed by Warner Brothers, this skill puts you in the middle of Gotham City, tasked with to uncover the murder of Batman’s parents.
- Alexa, ask Magic 8-Ball : A virtual twist on an old favorite, this skill gives a random yes or no answer to any question; all without having to rotate your device vertically to see your destiny.
Universal Health and Wellness Skills
The skills below are designed to help you lead a healthier life, both physically and mentally.
- Alexa, open the meditation timer : Helps in your regular meditation by playing relaxing sounds for the duration you want, ringing the bell when your time is up.
- Alexa, ask «My pregnancy» . A useful skill for expectant mothers. My Pregnancy provides detailed medical information as you get closer to your due date.
- Alexa, open Healthy Habit : Each time you access a skill, give a health tooltip.
- Alexa, run Cal Pal : Launches a calculator that tells you how much exercise you need to burn a certain number of calories.
- Alexa : Playing inspirational tidbits from one of several famous speakers from all walks of life.
- Alexa, open Daily Affirmation : offers an encouraging and inspiring message once a day.
- Alexa, open «Deep Breathing» : takes you through deep breathing exercises and mental imagery designed to reduce stress.
Soothing Ambient Noise Skills
An Alexa-enabled device can also function as a white noise machine, playing the following ambient sounds to set the right mood at the right time.
- Alexa, open storm sounds
- Alexa, open Sounds of Rain
- Alexa, open ocean sounds
- Alexa, start white noise
- Alexa, discover bird sounds
Extremely savvy financial skills
The following Alexa skills will help grow your stock portfolio and bank account
- Alexa, open stock trigger : Not only does this skill provide stock quotes on demand, it also includes the ability to customize triggers SMS notifications each time a particular stock reaches a user-defined threshold.
- Alexa, ask CryptoCoins : Provides the current value bitcoin in US dollars along with the percentage change in the last 24 hours.
- Alexa, ask The Fool : Represents details from The Motley Fool in the warehouse of your choice, as well as the latest information from your watchlist.
Need more? Try These Different Skills
These Alexa skills may not fit into any of the above categories, but each one is good enough to make a list.