Love Plex? You’ll love the Plex Pass even more.
The Plex Pass brings you new features before anyone else, as well as exclusive features only available to Plex Pass owners. If you love your home media center as much as I do, you’ll wonder how you ever lived without it. Read on to learn more about the top-notch Plex experience — and we have four lifetime Plex Passes (worth a total of $600) to give away!
What is a plex?
- It is beautiful With DVD covers and movie posters, metadata and more — Plex looks simply fantastic .
- Does not require lengthy setup . There are several complex ways to collect metadata and media posters, but this usually requires an obscure naming scheme first; Plex does it all automatically . You don’t have to sit and tediously rename each file to match a specific scraper format. Just put the files in your server folder.
- Works everywhere . Windows, Mac, web and mobile clients, they’ll keep you protected. The choice of servers is a bit more limited, but that’s where your media is stored. The server transcodes the media on the fly, so your client always sees the optimal version.
- Track playback . Do you want to finish watching this movie in bed? No problem: pick up where you left off on the tablet. Quickly find viewed, recently added or currently viewed media.
- Plex It online queuing. When you’re browsing the web, a simple bookmarklet will allow you to queue up a media item (such as from YouTube or Vimeo) on your server for later viewing.
- DLNA compatible . In the rare case that Plex isn’t available for your platform — like a Blu-ray player or an older «smart TV» — Plex offers full compatibility with the DLNA home streaming protocol.
- Remote streaming . Not at home? Don’t worry — with a little router tweaking you can view all your media on the go.
With all this for free, you’ll be forgiven for wondering what features a premium Plex Pass can bring you. Let’s talk about what’s currently on offer, but remember that additional features are constantly being worked on and, as a Plex Pass holder, you’ll get priority access to them.
Early access and free mobile apps
Plex for Xbox One is the latest release from the Plex team and is currently only available to Plex Pass owners. It will be available to the general public at some point, but for the price — Plex Pass owners tend to get these new versions for free, ahead of everyone else. They are also currently offering preview versions of Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.
For Roku or Android owners, Plex Pass entitles you to free versions of paid apps.
Trailers and extras
Installing the trailers feature isn’t as easy as I’d like, but hopefully they make the process easier. First, trailers must be enabled on both the server and every device you use as a client. For example, to enable them for a web application, this means updating both settings -> Servers -> Additional functions and Settings -> Player -> Additional functions . You also need to make sure that freebase film agent enabled — make sure you follow the outline of the support document exactly. This was the final major step in including Freebase as an additional «agent» for movie information, which eventually allowed me to use the trailers.
In the end, I really got the trailers to play and they are just as amazing as expected — a true cinematic experience. It made me realize how much I missed them as a movie opening method, and having them automatically added to your home theater is an amazing addition.
Additional information, such as interviews and cast profiles, is also automatically searched for by local media, although these are generally only available for the newest releases.