Jumping into VR with a new headset is super easy, but there are a few quick things to do before having some fun in the other world. This guide will show you everything you need to do before putting on your headset, so you’re guaranteed to have a good time!
How to build your Gear VR
Your Gear VR is made up of several parts. You must have:
- One plastic visor
- One long strap
- One short strap with plastic hook
- One elastic tag with SAMSUNG on the bottom
- Two AAA batteries
- One motion controller
- One motion controller strap
- One micro USB adapter
- One USB-C adapter (included)
Here is the best way to assemble head straps.
- Take a short strap with a plastic hook and attach the plastic end to the small metal bar on the plastic shield with the open side of the hook facing the front of the headset.
- Attach the elastic tag to the long strap with the Samsung logo facing up
- Insert the two sides of the long strap into the slots on the sides of the plastic visor with the Velcro pieces facing out.
- Attach the Velcro side of the short strap to the middle of the long strap
- Put the batteries in the motion controller
- Attach the hand strap to the motion controller by passing it through the hole under the battery cover, and then reattach the battery cover.
- Insert the Gear VR Controller into the elastic tag on the side strap
Congratulations, your headpiece is complete! This will need to be adjusted a bit when you put the headset on to make it fit you perfectly.
Here’s how to pair perfectly with Gear VR!
How to Install the Gear VR Software on Your Galaxy S8 or S9
Your phone doesn’t come with the Gear VR software already installed, so you’ll need to download it. For this you need:
- Insert your phone into Gear VR
- Wait for the voice that tells you to take off your phone
- Take your phone out of Gear VR
- Read the Agreement on the screen and click Agree, then Next
- Click «Install» to download the Gear VR software
Important note: if your phone uses micro USB rather than USB-C, you can replace the adapter on your headset by switching the adapter to unlock, removing it, and replacing it with the micro USB version.
You did it! Once the software is ready to use, you will see the Oculus app in your app’s launcher.
How to set up the Gear VR software and connect the Gear VR controller
Now that you’ve set up the hardware and installed the software, it’s time to create an account and have some fun!
- Open the Oculus app on your phone
- Login to your Facebook account
- Click » Update Now», to get the latest Gear VR software
- Click » Pair» and hold the button Home» on the Gear VR controller to connect
- Calibrate your Gear VR controller with the on-screen video guide
- Click Lefty or right-handed, to set Gear VR Controller preferences.
And you’re done! Your Gear VR is now completely ready to use.
Important note: The Oculus app requires your Gear VR to use the highest resolution setting in order to show you things in VR. You will see a prompt asking you to enable «WQHD+» on your phone, which is a display mode that consumes more power while using it. If you’re not using the Gear VR, you can revert to the default «FHD+» resolution your phone uses when you take it out of the box. To make this change:
- Pull down the notification drawer and touch the mechanism settings.
- Click Display
- Click Screen resolution
- Move the green dot WQHD+ on the FHD+